Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Muffler Shop Manager Goes Back to Saying "Go Ahead, Make My Day"

Dan Trillo, manager of the Rt 15 Roxy's Muffler Repair, has stunned co-workers by announcing his return to using the phrase "go ahead, make my day." Trillo started using the phrase in 1985 after seeing Clint Eastwood deliver the famous line as Dirty Harry in Sudden Impact.

"I used it probably 8-10 times a day for about 15 years. Then, I don't know, I just started to get tired of it. Well sir, I didn't know how good I had it."

"I needed to replace it with something. I think my next try right out of the box was from Crocodile Dundee. I'd carry this big fishing knife, and whenever I got the chance I'd say 'that's not a knife!', then I'd pull out my knife and say 'THAT'S a knife!'"

"Trouble was, after a month or so my wife threatened to walk out if I didn't stop saying it several times every night at dinner."

"I tried using it around the shop, but it never felt natural. One of the guys would come walking through with some tire iron or something, and I'd be like 'that's not a knife!'. And they would say 'Yeah. I know it's not. It's a tire iron.'"

"I tried a dozen things over the years. Once, I got these dark glasses, and whenever anyone would walk in the shop I'd put'em on and go 'Mr Andersen!' That just mostly confused the customers. Especially the older ladies. Some of them got real mad."

"So, it’s been a long strange trip, but I’ve come full circle. You can use ‘make my day’ in so many different situations. 'Hey Dan, I need Tuesday off''. 'Make my day!'. or 'Can I bring my car in on Thursday?' 'Sure thing, make my day!'. 'You wrecked my car and I’m going to sue your ass!' 'Go ahead pal! Make my day'. It's simple AND it's quite versatile. "

"Most of the guys here weren’t around when I was using it before. A few of them weren’t even born when Sudden Impact came out. So, it’ll be all fresh and new to them. "

" I’ll never change again."

No comments:

Post a Comment